Thursday, 1 December 2011

Tepak Sireh

Does anyone know anyone or someone who is renting out tepak sireh ? I need to book one for my engagement so badly and I am running out of luck. I emailed certain websites that I came across to rent their tepak sireh. No...it's either they don't offer the service anymore or it wont be available on the date I want.

Am going bonkers searching online...If you know someone who is selling the Tepak Sireh set also please inform me. I might be interested in buying one if it's affordable. Hik hik..It's very pretty. Oh sorry! Allow me enlighten some of my readers with a lil touch on what Tepak Sireh is.

Tepak Sireh' is a brass container as above....where you can place and keep betel leaves, betelnut, clove, cardamom, catechuu, tobacco and paan and also the betelnut cutter.Betel chewing is a tradition which dates back thousands of years. The bitter poultice is an acquired taste, and, although it is not clear why the people of the Pacific originally began to chew betelnut, the habit has been passed down through the generations and now provides a cultural link to their past.In India (the largest consumer of betel nut), the betel nut is cut into small pieces using a special instrument called sarota, and the husk is wrapped in a "betel leaf" along with lime and may include clove, cardamom, catechu (kattha), etc. for extra flavouring. Betel leaf has a fresh, peppery taste, but, depending on the variety of betel pepper from which it comes, it can be very bitter. Experienced chewers might mix the betel nut with tobacco (the drug effect of the nicotine in tobacco resembles that of betel nut). This preparation of betel leaf with or without betel nut is commonly referred to as paan in India and Pakistan, and is available everywhere.



Picture & Info Courtesy of  Ibnu Yusuf

So for those who can help me out please help me...I'm starting to panic since I can't seem to find the major stuff I need. Omg I should have booked earlier. It's my fault preparing other stuff. I thought things like this will always be available and easily found. Silly me..Argh!! Please help!! Thank you

2 comments:

  1. are you still looking for a Tepak Sireh Set ?
    I have an old set for sale - round timber bowl with five brass containers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the offer. But currently i do not need it. However, just...to know, how much you offering. If cheap I might consider buying for future use n maybe you could email me a pick of it as well to tasneem.najeeb@gmail.com

    thank you

    ReplyDelete